Pentakota Lighthouse is about 13 km from Tuni Railway Station on Visakhapatnam-Rajahmundry section and about 80km by road from Dolphins Nose Lighthouse, Visakhapatnam. There was no lighthouse provided at the site earlier than the present one. A brick masonry pillar was however constructed near to the present Lighthouse site during the early part of the 20th century which served as a day mark beacon. The present Lighthouse was constructed during 1955-57 and a D.A. Gas equipment supplied by M/s B.B.T.,Paris was installed on the tower and the light was commissioned on this tower on 1st June 1957. The D.A. Gas light was discontinued and Electric lamp was installed in place of D.A. Gas mantle (ASR-3) on 17th January 1991. Due to the frequent mains failures a 12V 100W Halogen lamp was installed inside the drum optic fitted over the main optic assembly on 21st December 1997 which works as an emergency Source. The system operates on electronic timer and Lead Acid Battery charged by SPV module.
Pentakota Lighthouse, Satyavaram-531127
Position - 17o 18.0’ N 82o 37.0’ E
Characteristic - flash White every 15 Seconds
Tower Colour - Black & White bands
Tower - 18m high Square Masonry Tower
Height above MSL - 18 metres
Range - 21 Nautical Miles
Optical Equip - 150mm 6th order revolving optic (4 panels) An additional 150 mm drum optic fitted over the main optic assembly which serves as emergency light inside 1.8m dia. lantern house. (BBT)
Illuminant - 240V, 250W Incandescent lamp.
Source of Energy - Main supply 230V 50 Hz (standby Genset not provided)
Commensed year - 1957
Subsequent Innovations - 1991, 1997