Hindsutan Aeronautics Limited history and growth of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited is synonymous with the growth of Aeronautical industry in India for more than 79 years.
Hindsutan Aeronautics Limited Company which had its origin as Hindustan Aircraft Limited was incorporated on 23 Dec 1940 at Bangalore by Shri Walchand Hirachand, a farsighted visionary, in association with the then Government of Mysore, with the aim of manufacturing aircraft in India. In March 1941, the Government of India became one of the shareholders in the Company and subsequently took over its management in 1942. In collaboration with the Inter Continental Aircraft Company of USA, the Company commenced its business of manufacturing of Harlow Trainer, Curtiss Hawk Fighter and Vultee Bomber Aircraft.
Hindsutan Aeronautics Limited January 1951, Hindustan Aircraft Limited was placed under the administrative control of Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
Meanwhile, in August 1963, Aeronautics India Limited (AIL) was incorporated as a Company wholly owned by the Government of India, to undertake manufacture of MiG-21 aircraft under licence. Factories were setup at Nasik (Maharashtra) & Koraput (Odisha). In June 1964, the Aircraft Manufacturing Depot which was set up in 1960 at Kanpur as an Air Force unit to produce the Airframe for the HS-748 transport aircraft was transferred to AIL. Soon thereafter, the Government decided to amalgamate Hindustan Aircraft Limited with AIL so as to conserve resources in the field of aviation where the technical talent in the country was limited and to enable the activities of all the aircraft manufacturing units to be planned and co-ordinated in a most efficient and economical manner.