Samiyani Island (Okha Port) Lighthouse
Samiyani island is situated off Okha lighthouse separated by about 1.5 km wide shoal. The island provides an ideal shelter to the Okha Harbour. Samiyani can be approached without the restriction of tides by a machine boat which can be hired from Passenger jetty at Okha Port. The region of Okha and islands around came under the control of Wadher dynasty in the 14th century. They made their capital at Arambhda, a village 5 km north of Okha. The inhabitants subsequently came to be known as Waghers (of Okha) who in course of time took to sea piracy and looting the pilgrims due mainly to the failure of monsoons in the region consecutively for years. After the British troops cleared Dwarka of Waghers in 1820s and also defeating them in the rest of the region during 1860s,they handed over the territory to Gaikwad of Baroda state. During those days there was a port at Beyt Island (Bet Dwarka) and another at Arambhda - 4 and 8 km north of Samiyani. The crafts heading for these ports took bearing from a tomb on the 12 m high mound on Samiyani Island. The country crafts from Kachchh regularly visited eyt island. Towards the mid 19th century a flag staff with an rangement for hoisting an oil lamp, was erected by the side of tomb. Baroda state built an elegant 20 m high Lighthouse tower with dressed sand stones at the centre of the island in 1876. An oil lamp in a lantern was exhibited from this tower since April 1876. A dioptric optic was added in the lantern in April 1893. In 1926-27 major changes were done-a 4th order Optic replaced the old one and lantern was improved by fitting two separate red filters covering Chandri and Paga reefs. In 1957 DA gas flashing burner was introduced. The equipment was replaced by a 500 mm optic in a lantern house manufactured at Madras work shop in 1962. The DA gas equipment was replaced by lectronic flasher (JLWL) operating on solar energy, on 7th March 1994.The Platinum jubilee celebrations of the Deptt were inaugura
ted at this lighthouse by the Minister of Shipping Mr VP Goyal, on 21st September 2002.