According to mythology the `Yakshas’ and the `Yadava’ landed at Jakhau during the pre-historic period. The name of the port Jakhau is said to have been adopted from the term `Jakh’ derived from `Yaksha’.Jakhau remained an important port till a new port at Mandvi was opened in the 16th century. The port traffic of Jakhau was then lost to Mandvi.During 1950’s large-scale salt pans were constructed at Jakhau and the port of Jakhau was revived and developed to handle the export of raw salt to Japan and Korea. Therefore providing a powerful light at Jakhau became essential. Accordingly the lighthouse project was planned and completed in 1965. Jakhau is the first major land mark in the Indian waters. The Lighthouse station is connected by an all weather road to Naliya, the taluka Headquarters and the railhead. Bhuj is about 70 km from Naliya. There is no evidence to suggest existence of any lighted beacon in earlier days. The first lighthouse was the DA gas light in 500 mm Lantern and cut and polished drum ptic with AGA flasher was first temporarily provided on MS Trestle tower in 1957. After the construction of RCC tower, a powerful electric light was commissioned on1st April 1965. The equipment was supplied by M/s Stone Chance & Co., Birmingham.The emergency source, capillary tube (Alladin Lamp) was replaced by LPG Burner in 1993 which too was replaced by 12V 100W Halogen lamp in 1996.A Refurbished Racon (MACE Origin) was installed on the same tower on 27th September 1999. Jakhau will be an important station of planned VTS for Gulf of Kachchh with Automatic Direction Finder system.
Jakhau Lighthouse Jakhau-370640
Position - 230 14.4’N 680 36.3’E
Characteristic - flash White every 10 sec.
Tower Colour - Red and White bands
Tower - 45m High RCC circular tower
Height above MSL - 46m
Range - 18 NM
Optical Equip - 375mm (3rd order) Revolving optic inside 2.16 m dia Lantern house (Stone Chance)
Illuminant - 100V 1500W incandescent lamp
Source of Energy - Mains supply 440V 50 Hz (stand by genset provided)
Commensed year - 1957
Subsequent Innovations - 1965, 1993, 1996, 1999