The port of Bedi was developed by the rulers of Nawanagar State (Jamnagar) as a tidal port complex towards the end of 19th Century mainly to facilitate trade with Arabia, East African Countries and Malabar in South. The crafts used to anchor off Rozi and navigate into the Bedi channel when sufficient water for their draughts was available during high tides.A light was provided on the bastion of Rozi mata temple in the year 1867. This light was meant to assist mariners anchor their vessels at Rozi anchorage. It functioned only during fair season. It was an ordinary wick lamp being hoisted from a mast erected on the temple bastion built on the mouths of Rangamati creek. In 1897 the mast was removed and a cast iron pedestal was provided to support an improved lamp with a 6th order optic. The light now was exhibited throughout the year. Flashing light was introduced in 1929 and in 1964 300 mm DA gas equipment with sun-valve was installed in place of the oil lamp. Close to the temple a passenger shed cum transit godown wasconstructed in 1919-20. It was linked to Jamnagar Railway station by an MG rail line. A jetty up to the reef edge was constructed during 1939-40 which was connected to the shed by a road.With the increase in traffic and in order to reduce the time taken by lighter-age system, new docks were constructed during 1975-76 at the mouths of Bedi creek (about 7 km from Bedi port) which came to be known as New Bedi port. The Rozimata temple light was shifted on to the edge of new port quay wall and came to be known as Bedi Bandar Lighthouse. A battery operated flasher with electronic controls, supplied by ANA was installed on the trestle tower and was commissioned into service on 4th March 1987. The system has been modified for solar operation in the year 1998. With many a powerful light coming up on the quay wall, this light was no longer required longer required and has since been discontinued on 30th September 2002.
Bedi Bandar Lighthouse Jamnagar-361001
Position - 220 33.0’N 700 01.9’E
Characteristic - flash (2) White every 10 sec.
Tower Colour - White
Tower - 12m high G.I. Trestle Tower
Height above MSL - 18m
Range - 9 NM
Optical Equip - 300 mm cut and polished drum optic inside 300mm lantern(AGA)
Illuminant - 12V 100W Halogen lamp
Source of Energy - 12 V batteries charged by SPV modules
Commensed year - 1867
Subsequent Innovations - 1897, 1929, 1964, 1987, 1998, 2002